0 Pomfret, Pomfret! 0 thou bloody prison,
Fatal & ominous to noble peers!
Within the guilty closure of thy walls
Richard the second here was hack 'd to death;
William Shakespeare: Richard III
Pontefract Cakes are renown throughout the world but how many people know about the town and its history?
· What’s the connection between Pontefract and the Battle of Trafalgar?
· Why does Pontefract have three railway stations?
· Which son of Pontefract almost brought a government down?
· Where is the hermitage?
· Where can you find a double helix staircase – one of only three remaining in the world?
· The town predates the Norman Conquest but why isn’t it mentioned in the Doomsday Book?
· Why is Pontefract a Magna Carta Town?
· How many priories were established in Pontefract?
· What inspired John Godber to write “Bouncers”?
But Pontefract has so much more to offer than just its history. With its racecourse, open-air markets (Wednesday and Saturday) and a fine array of pubs and restaurants, the town has something for everyone.